What is FSSAI License ?

The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) have been constituted by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare with a stringent visualization to implement FSS act on food business activities. FSSAI was formed to keep a single point of contact for all the food operators. The role & responsibility of FSSAI is to make sure that all food-related laws are being followed by food business operators.

FSSAI has defined a common procedure for all food operators to apply for applicable food License. FSSAI license/registration has three categories. An FBO can identify the required license type basis on its business category & turnover.

Type of FSSAI Registration

 FSSAI Basic Registration

This is required for small business or start-ups which have annual turnover below Rs.12 lakhs. Basic registration can be upgraded to state license as your sales graph increases.Food business operators like petty food manufacturers and also the small-sized manufacturers, storage units, transporters, retailers, marketers, distributors etc are thus required to obtain the FSSAI Registration. The FSSAI Registration is however issued by the State Government. Depending upon the eligibility, an FBO can thus fall under the State or Registration license. It is thus mostly for the units having an annual turnover which is up to 12 lakh.

FSSAI State License

This license is applicable to mid-sized companies which have an annual turnover between Rs.12-20crores.

Food business operators like small to medium-sized manufacturers, storage units, transporters, retailers, marketers, distributors etc. are however required to obtain the FSSAI State License. The State License is issued by the State Government and it is important that you have operations in only 1 state, in order to obtain the State license. It is thus mostly for the units having an annual turnover of more than 12 lakh.

FSSAI Central License

This license is applicable typically on large business with an annual turnover above Rs.20 crores. It is also required in cases where you need to supply at the government offices or import/export-food-products.

Food business operators such as the Importers, 100% Export Oriented Units, large manufacturers, operators in the Central Government agencies, airports, seaports etc. are however required to obtain a Central Food License. The Central license is issued by the Central Government. Furthermore, FBOs have to obtain the Central License for their head office, and if they have operations in more than 1 state. It is thus mostly for the units who are having an annual turnover which is greater than 20 crores.

Documents Required for FSSAI Registration

  • Documents Required for GST Registration

    Documents required

    • Declaration form
    • Copy of Aadhaar Card/ Voter identity card of Proprietor/ Partners/ Director
    • Authority letter
    • Copy of Rent agreement (If rented property)
    • Copy of Property paper (If owned property)
    • Electricity/ Water bill (Business Place)
    • Form IX: Nomination of Persons by a Company along with the Board Resolution
  • Additional Documents for Manufacturer

    • Blueprint/layout plan of the processing unit
    • List of Equipment and Machinery
    • List of food category desired to be manufactured
    • Pesticide residues report of water
    Documents Required for GST Registration

FSSAI Registration Procedure

  • Step 1

    Provide us with all the scanned copy of all the requisite Documents online by mail

  • Step 2

    We will check the whether all the documents are complete as required and inform you if any discrepancy

  • Step 3

    Filling of Application Online on FSSAI Portal and wait for the response of the application

  • Step 4

    Grant of FSSAI Certificate – If the documents and application filed is in place, then the department shall issue the FSSAI Certificate

Our Prices

FSSAI Registration


4199 .00

Inclusive of all taxes


9999 .00

Inclusive of all taxes


16999 .00

Inclusive of all taxes

Frequently Asked Questions

FSSAI License is the basic interim permission that any food business operator needs to take before storing any food business in India.

FSSAI has 3 categories based on Annual turnover:
FSSAI Registration – turnover below 12 lakhs annually
FSSAI State License – turnover between 12 lakhs to 20 crores annually
FSSAI Central License – turnover above 20 crores

On the basis of production capacity:

FSSAI Registration – 100kgs per day
FSSAI State License – 100kgs to 2 mt tons per day
FSSAI Central License – above 2 mt tons per day

There will be different license issued under FSSAI as requirement of each product is different.
So in the same premises if license is being taken for processing of meat, milk & fruits & vegetables, there will be a separate license as these will be done in separate portions & businesses are not connected.
However, in case there is fruit & vegetable processing & godown/ store along with it, since these are connected activities, one license is applicable.

Food Businesses shall conform to the new regulations in one of two ways: by registration or licensing. For the purpose of regulation, FSSAI has divided Food Businesses into two categories: a) Petty Food Business and b) Other (non-petty) Food Business. All Food Businesses that are Petty Food Businesses shall be registered. Other Food Businesses (excluding Petty Food Businesses) shall be either registered or licensed depending on the scale and volume of their business.


FSSAI license can be renewed 30 days before the expiry of original license. You need to provide your current license number to our team. We will re-file the Form A and form B for renewal of the application / license. It typically takes 30-40 for renewal of the license. The government fee is same for renewal as for new license issue.

You will need a Central License for the registered office of your company and individual state licenses for each manufacturing unit in particular states.

Yes, FSSAI license is required for any type of food activities including manufacturing, trading, distribution and transportation. Therefore, you shall need a license from FSSAI too.